School Board Election Day: May 11, 2013
The Board of Trustees consists of seven Board members elected to serve, without compensation, for overlapping terms of three years each. Elections are conducted annually in May.
While candidates run for specific places, they do not represent specific geographical areas; rather, each represents MISD at large. Following the annual election, the Board elects a president, vice-president and secretary to serve for one-year terms.
Notice of Election [PDF]
Order of drawn names on ballot:
- Scott Koelker
- Matt Sanders
- Richard Young
- Phil Seay
- Jim Mentzel
Notice of Election [PDF]
To vote in the May election, voters must register by April 11, 2013. Contact the Ellis County Registration office at 972.923.5195. A voter registration application may be completed online at www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/reqvr.shtml and mailed to the Ellis County Voter Registration Office.
Election Day is Saturday, May 11, 2013
Midlothian Conference Center from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm
One Community Circle, Midlothian, Texas 76065
Precincts: 101, 102 103, 104, 105, 106, 111 and 135
Ovilla City Hall from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm
105 S. Cockrell Hill Road, Ovilla, Texas 75154
Precincts: 107 and 108
Early Voting is April 29 – May 7, 2013 (M-F)
Early Voting Polling Place
Midlothian Conference Center – All Precincts
April 29 – May 3, 2013 from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
May 6 & 7, 2013 from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm
SAMPLE BALLOT [PDF]
Interested individuals may pick up an application from the L.A. Mills Administration Bldg., 100 Walter Stephenson Road. 972-775-8296.
Applications must be signed, notarized and state the place for which the applicant is a candidate (Place 4 or 5). Note: The term of office for school trustee is three years. All applications filed are public records and open to inspection upon request.
The first day to file an application for a place on the ballot for the May 11, 2013 election is January 30, 2013. Office hours for filing are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm; except on March 1, 2013 when offices will close at 5:00 pm in conjunction with the filing deadline.
The filing deadline is March 1, 2013 at 5:00 pm.
To be eligible to be a candidate a person must be all of the following:
- A U.S. citizen
- 18 years or older at the start date of the term of service
- A resident of the district for six months before the filing deadline
- A resident of the state for 12 months before the filing deadline
- A qualified voter (NOTE: It is not a requirement that a candidate be registered to vote at the time the candidate files for a place on the ballot. The person must be a qualified voter to be selected.)
Midlothian ISD will have a Candidate Workshop for potential school board members to gain advice and ask questions about serving on the Board of Trustees. This training will be at the L. A. Mills Administration Building, 100 Walter Stephenson Road at 6:00 pm on February 18, 2013.
2013 Election Calendar
(A detailed calendar is available in the candidate packet.)
- January 30, 2013 – First day to file an application.
- February 18, 2013 – 6:00 pm - Candidate Workshop for potential school board members.
- March 1, 2013 – 5:00 pm – Last day to file an application.
- March 4, 2013 – 3:30 pm – Ballot position drawing.
- March 11-15, 2013 – MISD offices closed for Spring Break.
- April 11, 2013 – Last day to register to vote in the May election.
- April 29 – May 3, 2013 – 8:00 am to 5:00 pm – Early Voting (See voting locations below.)
- May 6-7, 2013 – 7:00 am to 7:00 pm – Early Voting (See voting locations below.)
- May 11, 2013 – Election Day, 7:00 am – 7:00 pm