Updated: April 10, 2012
In order to maintain an orderly environment conducive to the attainment of the educational mission and purpose of the district, all students shall be required to meet the expectations of the dress and grooming code. Dress and apparel that unduly attract the attention of other students often precipitate comments and/or other reactions that are disruptive. Safety, general health, hygiene and modesty are factors that are considered in the establishment of this dress and grooming code.
It is important to read all of the Student Dress Code.
- Any colors that are not deemed natural hair color will not be allowed.
- Tipping or highlighting hair will be permitted as long as it is a natural hair color.
- Any unusual streaks or patterns will not be permitted.
- Unusual haircuts or styles such as Mohawks, fauxhawks, dreadlocks, spikes, patterns or shaving of all or part of the head are prohibited.
- Tight weaves close to the scalp are acceptable for boys and girls.
- Wigs may not be worn, except for medical reasons.
- Apparel will not display obscene prints or symbols.
- Apparel such as jeans and shirts that students write on and/or allow other students to write on are prohibited.
- Lewd, vulgar, obscene, or suggestive language/designs on clothing is prohibited.
- Advertisements or symbols that can be interpreted as promoting, depicting, or insinuating the use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, demonism, violence or of a sexual nature are prohibited in the academic classroom.
- Torn clothing and clothing with holes above the knee which expose skin or undergarments are prohibited.
- Trench coats, dusters, and one-piece jump suits are prohibited.
- Chains attached to pants or wallets are prohibited.
- An item of apparel or make-up that is considered extreme in dress is prohibited.
- Tattoos which are visible that are distractive or inappropriate are prohibited.
- Hats, caps, bandanas, or sunglasses may not be worn inside the school building.
- Garments with hoods may not be worn with the hood over the head inside the building during the school day.
- All shirts, blouses, tee shirts and sweaters must be modest in nature.
- Sheer, lace, or excessively tight fitting garments that are too revealing or immodest are prohibited.
- Immodest and/or revealing clothing is prohibited.
- Appropriate undergarments shall be worn.
- Shirts and blouses must have sleeves or cap sleeves and must be hemmed to fit around the arm. Tank tops and spaghetti straps are prohibited.
- Off-the-shoulder shirts, blouses, or sweaters are prohibited.
- Shirts, blouses, and sweaters that show the torso when arms are raised above the head are prohibited at all times.
- Untucked shirts may not extend below the middle of the thigh.
- All pants, skirts, and shorts shall be sized appropriately and worn at the waist with no sagging.
- Pajama-styled pants are prohibited.
- All shorts, skirts (including skirts with a split up the front, side or back), and dresses must cover three-quarters of the thigh at all times.
- Dresses must have sleeves that are hemmed to fit around the arm or cap sleeves.
- In grades 6-12, athletic style shorts may be worn only during physical education classes and other school-related activities such as athletic practices, cheerleading, etc. and are permitted only in designated workout areas. In grades PK-5 pants with elastic waistbands and athletic style shorts are permitted. The building principal in connection with the sponsor, coach or other person in charge of an extracurricular activity may regulate the dress and grooming of students who participate in the activity. Sweat pants with wording, lettering, designs or images across the backside are prohibited.
- Clothing, shoes, boots, jewelry, bandanas, or grooming styles that identify a student as a member of a gang or other unauthorized group are prohibited.
Shoes and Sandals
- Shoes or sandals must be worn at all times.
- Shoes with metal cleats, taps, or wheels on the heels or soles, or shoes that can damage or mark floors are prohibited.
- Heels no higher than 1” are permitted in grades PK-5.
Male General Dress Code
- Mustaches, goatees and beards are prohibited. Sideburns may not extend below the bottom of the ear.
- Hair may not extend over the top of the collar of a T-shirt in back and may not extend below the middle of the ear on the side. In front, hair must be cut so that it is out of the eyes.
- Hair may not be tucked, curled, or groomed to meet the dress and grooming code.
- Hair may not be worn in a ponytail.
- Visible objects in any body piercing are prohibited and coverings of visible body piercings cannot be used to meet the dress code guidelines. Spacers are not allowed.
- Beads or decorative items in the hair are prohibited.
- Make-up is prohibited.
Female General Dress Code
- Visible objects in any body piercing (excluding ears) are prohibited and coverings of visible body piercings cannot be used to meet the dress code guidelines. Spacers are prohibited
- Girls in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade are prohibited from wearing makeup.
- Leggings may not be worn as pants for girls 6th -12th grade. (Pants that do not have pockets, a snap, and a zipper will be considered leggings.)
- Leggings may be worn with a skirt of an appropriate length. (Skirts must cover three-quarters of the thigh at all times.)
Compliance with Dress Code
The building principal or his/her designated representative will be the sole authority in deciding whether a student’s appearance is a distraction and might interrupt the learning process for other students. Any violations of this dress and grooming code must be corrected immediately at the direction of the building principal.
Students, teachers, parents and administrators must work together to assume responsibility for complying and enforcing the dress code adopted by the MISD.
Presented to Staff and Principals on 3-1-2012; submitted to MHS/FSMS/WGMS Student Councils for review; and presented to the MISD Board of Trustees on 3-26-2012 for approval.