Midlothian ISD takes the concern of its students and staff well being seriously. When conditions arise, MISD is prepared to protect at the campus and district levels, as well as informing parents, students and community members. The district uses various types of communication for quick, real-time alerts. It is suggested that the below information be reviewed and called upon should any serious conditions happen. Questions or comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closures & Delays
Inclement Weather or Emergency Conditions
School closings or delays are based on road conditions within the district. Decisions on closing or delayed opening of MISD schools will be posted on the MISD website, TV channels 4, 5, 8, and 11, radio stations KBEC 1390AM, WBAP 820AM, as well as MISD Facebook and Twitter (See below links).
Bad Weather Guide [PDF]
Are you on Facebook or Twitter? MISD would like to encourage parents and community members to join these social media to receive regular updates about Midlothian ISD; from sports scores to district and campus news.
To join our Facebook, click on the Like Button below. (Be sure you are already logged into Facebook)
Or you can follow MISD on Twitter! (Again, make sure you are already signed into Twitter)
Our Athletics Department and campuses are on social media too!
Flash Alert System
Midlothian ISD implemented a new system for emergency communications using electronic media (computers and cell phones) as the communication tools. The vendor selected for this task is FlashNews.net through Region 10 ESC.
Midlothian ISD would like to encourage staff members and parents to take advantage of this opportunity to sign up to receive emergency notifications by this system. Signing up to receive an emergency alert is voluntary and has been implemented to improve emergency communication. If you have a cell phone with text messaging and/or a home computer, you are encouraged to register for the benefit of prompt notification in case of an emergency situation. With this, you could be one of the first in the car line in case of an early release due to inclement weather.
This system allows MISD to communicate emergency notifications (ie. school closings) to its parents, staff, employees, and other interested subscribers DIRECTLY to their home computers and personal cell phones as a text notification. Staff and parents will receive the emergency information at the same time the news media does. There will no longer be a need to sit in front of your home television set waiting to see if Midlothian ISD is closing. A closure message will come directly to your email or cell phone within five minutes of being sent. Emergency Flash Alerts will only be for emergencies. The system also allows for announcements of non-closure emergencies such as electrical outages. You will have an option to sign up for email notification of School News and Sports Scores in the District as well. You will not be charged for this Flash Alert service. However, if you do not have a text messaging plan with your cell phone carrier, you may be billed 10 - 50 cents per text message from your provider.
All cell phone numbers and home computer email addresses are maintained at an off-site secure server. Midlothian ISD will only have information concerning the quantity of subscribers and not your personal cell phone numbers. The privacy of your home computers email addresses and cell phone numbers are also protected and will not be available to any online or text messaging marketers. This is an agreement with our vendor and Region 10 ESC.
Registration normally only takes a few minutes. Please follow these directions in detail:
- Sign on to www.flashalert.net.
- Click on the Dallas Button on the map.
- Click on Dallas and Ellis County Schools.
- Click on Midlothian ISD.
- a.) Staff Members Only: At the prompt, enter your Midlothian ISD e-mail address. (The reason is that you will likely manage your
account from your work desk rather than home.)
b.) Parents and Households Only: At the prompt, enter your home e-mail address.
- At the prompt, re-enter your Midlothian ISD e-mail address (staff) or your home e-mail address (parents).
- Under Add an Organization, select Dallas/Ft. Worth/North Central Texas
- Under Select, choose Dallas and Ellis County Schools.
- Under Organization, select Midlothian ISD.
- Click on the SUBSCRIBE BUTTON. (NOTE: THIS IS IMPORTANT! IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, YOUR REGISTRATION WILL NOT WORK.)
- Add up to four additional addresses to receive emergency information, i.e., home computer e-mail address, cell phone address (follow directions posted), spouse office computer e-mail, etc. (NOTE: In signing up your cell phone for text messaging, there are seven providers listed (Cingular/AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Nextel, Qwest, and Alltel). Be sure and enter your CELL PHONE NUMBER PRIOR TO ENTERING THE "@STEM" OR IT WON'T WORK. Also, if you want to register a cell phone and do not have one of these providers, please let us know by return e-mail and we will pursue registration)
- Click on the RED LINE to send a test message. One should appear within five minutes on your computers and your cell phone.
- Log out (last line on the left navigation bar.)
- You're done and ready to receive emergency messages at home from Midlothian ISD. They will appear as "email@example.com."
We appreciate your participation as your method of communication and ours evolves!
Message concerning FlashAlert
Many Midlothian parents and staff are subscribed to receive FlashAlert emergency emails and/or text messages. Once a year, they must confirm that they wish to continue receiving these messages.
If you wish to continue and have not already done so, please go to www.flashalert.net/login.html and enter your primary email address and password. Check that all your addresses are correct and then select "Click here to send test messages and complete the registration process" to update. If you do not update your account, it will be deleted on September 15.
Please make sure that your cell phone text addresses are formatted correctly with 10 digits (AT&T example: firstname.lastname@example.org). Or, consider a new, even faster option: Twitter.
FlashAlert now can distribute messages through Twitter. Twitter's relationship with the cell companies mean that our messages go through the cell companies' faster "back door," so we encourage you to use Twitter instead of registering your cell phone in the FlashAlert system. You can register for Twitter by cicking on the blue Twitter logo next to Midlothian's name in your FlashAlert account.
Again, to continue receiving FlashAlerts, please log in to your account and launch a test message by September 15, 2009.
The Communications Department will ensure your email privacy. We will never share, sell, or rent individual personal information with anyone without your advance permission or unless ordered by a court of law. Information submitted to us is only available to employees managing this information for purposes of contacting you or sending you emails based on your subscription to MISD Connections.